Idaho Republicans gave Donald Trump their four Electoral College votes, but even they don’t believe Trump will build a wall along the Mexican border, nor will he be able to make our southern neighbors pay for it, a new Idaho Politics Weekly poll shows.
Trump won what many believe to be an upset victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton in early November and is now putting together the top levels of his upcoming administration.
And solidly-red Idaho voted for him; there was no doubt about that on Nov. 8.
Even members of Trump’s party in Idaho don’t believe he will carry through on his promise to build a “big, beautiful” wall along America’s southern border to keep out illegal aliens, the new survey by Dan Jones & Associates finds.
And most Idaho Republicans also don’t believe Trump will get Mexico to pay for that wall, even though Trump has promised that time and again.
The new survey shows:
- Only a quarter of all Idahoans thinks Trump will build the wall.
- 61 percent say he won’t.
- And 14 percent don’t know.
- Among his GOP members in Idaho, only 25 percent say Trump will, in fact, build the wall.
- 61 percent of Idaho Republicans say he will never do it.
- And 16 percent of Gem State Republicans don’t know.
As might be expected, Idaho Democrats and political independents are even more skeptical of Trump’s wall plans:
- 70 percent of Democrats say the wall won’t be built by Trump.
- 19 percent say it probably will, and 11 percent don’t know.
- 59 percent of political independents say Trump will never build the wall; 27 percent say he will, and 14 percent don’t know.
When Trump flew to Mexico City during his race to confer with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, the president came out of the meeting saying he had told Trump no way, no how, was Mexico going to pay for that wall.
Yet Trump continues to insist Mexico will pay for it.
But Idahoans – even Idaho Republicans – don’t believe it.
- 70 percent of Idahoans say Mexico will never pay for any such wall.
- 25 percent say it probably will.
- And 6 percent don’t know.
- Republicans say Mexico won’t pay for the wall, 59-34 percent.
- Democrats say Mexico won’t pay, 93-6 percent.
- And political independents aren’t buying the idea, either, 72-24 percent.
Jones polled 607 adults from Nov. 18-29; the survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.98 percent.