Nearly two-thirds of Idahoans say GOP President Donald Trump and his campaign did not collude with Russia during his election 18 months ago, a new Idaho Politics Weekly poll finds.
While that may be good news for the president – as a special counsel begins to focus in on staffers and aides close to Trump – there are still one-third of Idahoans who do believe Trump worked in some manner with Russians to harm Democrat Hillary Clinton and help get him elected.
Several national news accounts say special counsel Robert Mueller is getting close to actually questioning the president on what he knew about Russian overtures to aid his campaign, and whether Trump obstructed justice in firing former FBI Director James Comey over his agency’s investigation into related matters.
In a poll for Idaho Politics Weekly, Dan Jones & Associates finds:
- 61 percent of Idahoans don’t believe the Trump campaign worked with Russia in the 2016 presidential election.
- 34 percent of Idahoans do believe there was collusion between the two entities.
- And 6 percent don’t know.
There is, again, a statistical difference in what men and women believe on this issue:
- 39 percent of women say Trump did collude with the Russians, while only 29 percent of men agree.
- 67 percent of men say neither Trump nor his campaign worked with the Russians, but only 53 percent of women agree.
Clearly, Idaho women have more problems with Trump than do Idaho men.
This is a highly partisan question, finds Jones:
- Idaho Republicans say Trump is innocent of collusion charges, 84-11 percent.
- Democrats say Trump is guilty of working with the Russians, 85-10 percent.
- Idaho independents, who don’t belong to any political party, are split – 54 percent say Trump is innocent of the collusion charges, 40 percent say he’s guilty.
As might be expected, conservatives give Trump a pass on the charges; liberals believe he’s guilty:
- Those who said they are “very conservative,” said Trump did not collude with the Russians, 91-4 percent.
- Those who are “somewhat conservative,” said Trump is innocent, 75-20 percent.
- “Moderates” are split, 49 percent say he didn’t do it, 46 percent say he did.
- Those who are “somewhat liberal” say Trump did it, 75-22 percent.
- Those who are “very liberal” say he worked with the Russians, 83-12 percent.
Jones polled 619 adults from Nov. 8-15. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.94 percent.